19 Harley St, London, W1G 9QJ, UK

[Tumours of the nerve root sheath in the spine]

INTRODUCTION: Spinal schwannomas account for about 30% of intradural spinal cord tumors in adults. More are solitary tumors, which can occur throughout the spinal canal. The multiple form of neurofibromas is known as von Recklinghausen disease. AIM. To analyze clinical and radiologic characteristics, treatment and evolution of patients with spinal nerve sheath tumor. PATIENTS AND METHODS: This was a retrospective study in a series of patients treated surgically of spinal schwannomas during 25 years. The following variables were evaluated: gender, age, symptomatology, radiological findings, localization, surgical findings and results. RESULTS: We treated 35 male and 33 female with a mean age of 55 years (range: 12-76 years).The most common pre-surgical symptom was local or radicular pain in 55 patients (80.8%). In 49 cases (66.2%), the tumor was sited in the lumbosacral, in 15 cases (20.2%) in the dorsal tract, and in 10 cases (13.6%) in the cervical tract. Total removal was achieved in 70 cases (94.5%) and subtotal resection in 4 (5.5%). 66 tumors (89.1%) were schwannomas and the other 8 cases (10.9%) neurofibromas. CONCLUSIONS: Tumors of the spinal root sheaths can occur at any level of the spinal canal. Most patients present with local and/or radicular pain and in most cases total resection its possible with good functional recovery

Keywords : Adolescent,Adult,Aged,Child,Female,Humans,Magnetic Resonance Imaging,Male,methods,Middle Aged,Nerve Sheath Neoplasms,Neurilemmoma,Neurofibroma,Pain,pathology,Patients,Retrospective Studies,Spinal Canal,Spinal Cord,Spinal Cord Neoplasms,Spinal Nerve Roots,surgery,Young Adult,, Nerve,Root,Sheath, occipital neuralgia massage techniques

Date of Publication : 2011 Oct 1

Authors : Gelabert-Gonzalez M;Castro-Bouzas D;Serramito-Garcia R;Santin-Amo JM;ran-Echabe E;Prieto-Gonzalez A;Allut AG;

Organisation : Departamento de Cirugia, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Servicio de Neurocirugia, Hospital Clinico Universitario, Santiago de Compostela, A Coruna, Espana. miguel.gelabert@usc.es

Journal of Publication : Rev Neurol

Pubmed Link : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21948009

The London Spine Unit : Harley Street UK. Specialists in Cutting Edge Technologies for Spinal Surgery

Make an Appointment 

Trustpilot Reviews
Doctify Reviews
Top Doctor Reviews

Tumours of the nerve root sheath in the spine | Tramacet schedule

What our patients say ...

Consultant Spine Surgeon
Consultant Spine Surgeon
Consultant Spine Surgeon

This surgical technique consists of a percutaneous approach for the treatment of small to medium size hernias of the intervertebral disc by laser energy. The main objective is to reduce the intradiscal pressure in the nucleus pulposus

Laser Disc Surgery can be performed under local anaesthetic as a day case at our centre on the prestigious Harley Street.
What is London spine unit and How it Works

The London Spine Unit was established in 2005 and has successfully treated over 5000 patients. All conditions are treated.

treatment of all spinal disorders

The London Spine Unit specialises in Minimally Invasive Treatments allowing rapid recovery and return to normal function

Trusted by patients worldwide

The London Spine Unit provides the highest quality care to all patients and has VIP services for those seeking exceptional services

If you have any emergency Doctor’s need, simply call our 24 hour emergency

Your personal case manager will ensure that you receive the best possible care.

Call Now 

+44 844 589 2020
+44 203 973 8810