State of the Art Laser Technology at the London Spine Unit
We have the latest in spine laser technology. The neoV laser is indicated for Percutaneous Laser Disc Decompresion (PLDD), for treatment of back pain resulting from herniated discs.
The treatment principle of PLDD is based on the concept of the intervertebral disk being a closed hydraulic system. This system consists of the nucleus pulposus, containing a large amount of water, surrounded by the inelastic annulus fibrosus. An increase in water content of the nucleus pulposus leads to a disproportional increase of intradiskal pressure. A reduction of intradiskal pressure causes the herniated disk material to recede toward the center of the disk, thus leading to reduction of nerve root compression and relief of radicular pain. In PLDD, this mechanism is exploited by application of laser energy to evaporate water in the nucleus pulposus.
Laser energy is delivered by a laser fiber through a hollow needle placed into the nucleus pulposus. The needle is placed into the intervertebral disk under local anesthesia. Apart from evaporation of water, the increase in temperature also causes protein denaturation and subsequent renaturation. This causes a structural change of the nucleus pulposus, limiting its capability to attract water andtherefore leading to a permanent reduction of intradiskal pressure.
- Minimally Invasive Technique – PLDD in a minimally invasive technique for treatment of back pain resulting from contained herniated discs. Key benefits of this approach include treatment under local anesthesia, rapid recovery and less risk vs more invasive approaches. In addition, the cost of treatment is minimized and optimized.
- Various Wavelengths – The PLDD kits and procedure are compatible with both the neoV1064 and the neoV980. Each physician can choose the unit based on the preferred tissue interaction.
- Optimal Energy Delivery – The laser energy is delivered to the target tissue via a custom fiber with a special thin coating. The fiber is threaded through either an 18G or a 20G needle, depending on physician preference.
- PLDD Presets – The neoV platform comes equipped with PLDD presets which are based on extensive clinical experience. The laser allows pulsed operation enabling tissue relaxation and heat dissipation between consecutive pulses.
- Portability – The neoV is the most portable PLDD unit on the market. With only 3.5Kg and a customized high quality carrying suitcase, it can be used in clinics easily and safely and for multiple levels.
- State of the art Performance – The neoV platform is the best on the market for PLDD treatments through unique design, quality, portability and state-of-the-art performance.