Live Video Consultation
19 Harley St, London, W1G 9QJ, UK

Post-vertebral augmentation back pain: evaluation and management.

Related Articles

Post-vertebral augmentation back pain: evaluation and management.

AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2012 Feb;33(2):370-5

Authors: Kamalian S, Bordia R, Ortiz AO

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: Vertebral augmentation is an established treatment for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures of the spine. Nevertheless, patients may continue to have significant back pain afterward. The purpose of this study was to assess the source of persistent or recurrent back pain following vertebral augmentation.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: Our institutional review board approved this study. We evaluated 124 consecutive patients who underwent vertebral augmentation for painful osteoporotic vertebral fractures. All patients were evaluated after 3 weeks, 3 months, and 1 year following their procedure. Patients with any type of back pain after their procedure were examined under fluoroscopy.
RESULTS: Thirty-four of 124 (27%) patients were men, and 90/124 (73%) were women. Persistent or recurrent back pain, not due to a new fracture or a failed procedure, was present in 29/124 (23%) patients. The source of pain was most often attributed to the sacroiliac and/or lumbar facet joints (25/29 or 86%). Seventeen of 29 (59%) patients experienced immediate relief after facet joint injection of a mixture of steroid and local anesthetic agents. The remaining 12 (41%) had relief after additional injections. Ten (34%) patients ultimately required radio-frequency neurolysis for long-term relief.
CONCLUSIONS: Back pain after vertebral augmentation may not be due to a failed procedure but rather to an old or a new pain generator, such as an irritated sacroiliac or lumbar facet joint. This is of importance not only for further pain management of these patients but also for designing trials to compare the efficacy of vertebral augmentation to other treatments.

PMID: 22116104 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]

Post-vertebral augmentation back pain evaluation and management | Pilates for back pain relief

What our patients say ...

Consultant Spine Surgeon
Consultant Spine Surgeon
Consultant Spine Surgeon

This surgical technique consists of a percutaneous approach for the treatment of small to medium size hernias of the intervertebral disc by laser energy. The main objective is to reduce the intradiscal pressure in the nucleus pulposus

Laser Disc Surgery can be performed under local anaesthetic as a day case at our centre on the prestigious Harley Street.
What is London spine unit and How it Works

The London Spine Unit was established in 2005 and has successfully treated over 5000 patients. All conditions are treated.

treatment of all spinal disorders

The London Spine Unit specialises in Minimally Invasive Treatments allowing rapid recovery and return to normal function

Trusted by patients worldwide

The London Spine Unit provides the highest quality care to all patients and has VIP services for those seeking exceptional services

If you have any emergency Doctor’s need, simply call our 24 hour emergency

Your personal case manager will ensure that you receive the best possible care.

Call Now 

+44 844 589 2020
+44 203 973 8810