19 Harley St, London, W1G 9QJ, UK

Chuanxiong chadiao powder, a famous Chinese herbal prescription, for headache: A systematic review and meta-analysis.

Related Articles

Chuanxiong chadiao powder, a famous Chinese herbal prescription, for headache: A systematic review and meta-analysis.

Complement Ther Med. 2015 Aug;23(4):577-90

Authors: Li JH, Cao XP, Wei JJ, Song L, Liao FJ, Zheng GQ, Lin Y

BACKGROUND: Headache have been recognized as major causes of public ill-health, whereas there currently are the limitations of conventional therapies available. Chuanxiong Chadiao Powder (CXCP) is a well-known classic TCM herbal prescription with respect to treating headache for more than 1000 years. The objective of this study is to systematically assess the clinical efficacy and safety of CXCP for headache.
METHODS: A systematic literature search in four databases, up to May of 2014, was performed to identify randomized controlled trials (RCTs), which compared CXCP monotherapy or adjunct therapy with western conventional medicine (WCM) or placebo for headache. The primary outcome measures were headache frequency, headache duration, pain intensity scales, globe assessment, patients self report outcomes, and quality of life. The second outcome measures were the total clinical effective rate and adverse events. The methodological quality of RCTs was assessed independently based on the 7 criteria recommended by the Cochrane Back Review Group.
RESULTS: A total of 3680 participants were included in 37 eligible studies. The methodological quality was generally poor and there was only one high quality trial. Meta-analyses of the studies found that significant effects of CXCP for improving headache frequency and headache duration and the total clinical effective rate compared with WCM or placebo control in treating headache (P<0.01). Adverse event monitoring was reported in 22 studies (59%), while the other 15 studies (41%) did not mentioned.
CONCLUSIONS: The evidence from present study is supported but limited for CXCP clinical use in the management of headache because of methodological flaws. Larger sample-sizes and rigorously designed RCTs are required in the future.

PMID: 26275651 [PubMed – in process]

Share to care...

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on google
Share on linkedin
Share on skype

What we do...

The Harley Street Hospital


What is London spine unit and How it Works

The London Spine Unit was established in 2005 and has successfully treated over 5000 patients. All conditions are treated.

We treat all spinal disorders

The London Spine Unit specialises in Minimally Invasive Treatments allowing rapid recovery and return to normal function

Trusted by patients worldwide

The London Spine Unit provides the highest quality care to all patients and has VIP services for those seeking exceptional services

What our patients say about us ......

Transforaminal Epidural

Comfortable environment – all nurses, anaesthetist, doctor made me feel at ease. Paul S. You May Also Like:Facet Joint Arthropathy + Minor Bone Endplate ChangesCervical

Read More »