19 Harley St, London, W1G 9QJ, UK

An Expanded Surgical Corridor of Oblique Lateral Interbody Fusion at L4-5: A Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study – Lumbar Fusion

Day Case Lumbar Fusion Surgery

The article discusses a new preoperative method called the “expanded surgical corridor” that aims to evaluate the actual safety corridor for oblique lateral interbody fusion (OLIF) procedures. The study evaluated axial T2-weighted magnetic resonance images of 511 patients with lumbar degenerative disease. The distance between the left-sided psoas muscle and the major artery was measured as the conventional surgical corridor (CSc), while the distance between the major vein and lumbar plexus was measured as the expanded surgical corridor (ESc). The results showed that the ESc provided a larger corridor, with 97.65% of patients categorized as having an approachable corridor for OLIF at the L4-5 level. This method could potentially expand the possibilities for performing OLIF procedures

Summarised by Mr Mo Akmal – Lead Spinal Surgeon
The London Spine Unit : best recognised spine hospital in UK

Published article

: By using the ESc, only 2.35% were categorized as having a limited surgical corridor. The other 97.65% of the patients had an approachable corridor that could be successfully operated by experienced spine surgeons who employ meticulous surgical dissection and thorough understanding of the anatomical structures. The ESc may represent true accessibility to the disc space for OLIF, particularly at the L4-5 level.

Lumbar Fusion Surgery Expert. Best Spinal Surgeon UK
Neurospine. 2023 Dec;20(4):1450-1456. doi: 10.14245/ns.2346678.339. Epub 2023 Dec 31.ABSTRACTOBJECTIVE: We introduced a new preoperative method, the “expanded surgical corridor,” to evaluate the actual safety corridor, which may expand the possibility of performing oblique lateral interbody fusion (OLIF).METHODS: Axial T2-weighted magnetic resonance images at the L4-5 disc level of 511 lumbar degenerative disease patients was evaluated.,

Neurospine. 2023 Dec;20(4):1450-1456. doi: 10.14245/ns.2346678.339. Epub 2023 Dec 31.

ABSTRACT

OBJECTIVE: We introduced a new preoperative method, the “expanded surgical corridor,” to evaluate the actual safety corridor, which may expand the possibility of performing oblique lateral interbody fusion (OLIF).

METHODS: Axial T2-weighted magnetic resonance images at the L4-5 disc level of 511 lumbar degenerative disease patients was evaluated. The distance between the medial edge of the left-sided psoas muscle and the major artery was measured as the conventional surgical corridor (CSc). The distance between the major vein and lumbar plexus was measured as the expanded surgical corridor (ESc).

RESULTS: The mean CSc and ESc were 13.9 ± 8.20 and 37.43 ± 10.1 mm, respectively. No surgical corridor was found in 7.05% of CSc and 1.76% of ESc, small corridor ( ≤ 1 cm) was found in 27.40% of CSc and 0.59% of ESc, moderate corridor (1-2 cm) was found in 42.07% of CSc and 1.96% of ESc, and large corridor ( > 2 cm) was found in 23.48% of CSc and 95.69% of ESc. A total of 33.83% (45 of 133) of whom were preoperatively categorized as having a limited surgical corridor by conventional measurement, underwent OLIF L4-5 successfully.

: By using the ESc, only 2.35% were categorized as having a limited surgical corridor. The other 97.65% of the patients had an approachable corridor that could be successfully operated by experienced spine surgeons who employ meticulous surgical dissection and thorough understanding of the anatomical structures. The ESc may represent true accessibility to the disc space for OLIF, particularly at the L4-5 level.

PMID:38171311 | DOI:10.14245/ns.2346678.339

The London Spine Unit : best recognised spine hospital in UK

Read the original publication:

An Expanded Surgical Corridor of Oblique Lateral Interbody Fusion at L4-5: A Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study

Related Posts

0/5 (0 Reviews)

Trusindex Reviews

London Spine Unit Harley Street Hospital

A Focus on High Quality Specialised Care

We are a specialist Private Hospital based on Harley Street, London UK The Harley Street Hospital, Day Surgery Hospital

We provide exclusive health services for individuals seeking Advanced medical, non-surgical or minimally invasive treatments. We are covered by All Insurance Companies apart from AXA PPP

Our Medical Director and Lead Spinal Surgeon Mr Mo Akmal MD is a world renowned Spine Specialist Consultant with over 20 years of experience. He and his team have developed revolutionary techniques to perform all types of Spinal Surgery as a Day Case procedure without traditional General Anaesthetic.

We are constantly improving our techniques for treatment and improving facilities for our patients.

Book your Appointment Now 
Check out our Reviews 
Check out our Patient Videos 
Check our Mr Akmal’s Profile

 

What our patients say ...

Neurospine. 2023 Dec;20(4):1450-1456. doi: 10.14245/ns.2346678.339. Epub 2023 Dec 31.ABSTRACTOBJECTIVE: We introduced a new preoperative method, the "expanded surgical corridor," to evaluate the actual safety corridor, which may expand the possibility of performing oblique lateral interbody fusion (OLIF).METHODS: Axial T2-weighted magnetic resonance images at the L4-5 disc level of 511 lumbar degenerative disease patients was evaluated.

Revolutionary Keyhole surgical technique to vaporise bulging discs

Dr Mo Akmal Medical Director
Dr Mo Akmal MD - Lead Spinal Surgeon

Laser Disc Surgery can be performed under local anaesthetic at The Harley Street Hospital.

Initial Consultation

with Consultant Spine Surgeon
£ 250
  • No Waiting Times
  • Top NHS affiliated Consultant
  • Includes Clinical Review and Report
  • Multidisciplinary discussion
  • Review of Previous Scans and Reports

Follow up Consultation

any appointment after initial consultation
£ 180
  • Top NHS affiliated Consultant
  • Includes Clinical Review and Report
  • Multidisciplinary discussion

High Resolution MRI Scan

any Single Region (3.0 Tesla)
£ 600
  • No waiting times
  • Includes Full Radiologist Report
  • Open or Closed MRI scan types
  • Copy of Scan on CD

Website Offer

Pre-Booked Online
£1130
£ 800
  • Initial Consultation
  • MRI Scan (Single Region)
  • Follow Up consultation
  • Same Day One Stop Visit
  • Full Medical and MRI scan Report
  • Copy of scan on CD
Popular

If you have any emergency Doctor’s need, simply call our 24 hour emergency

Your personal case manager will ensure that you receive the best possible care.

Call Now 

+44 844 589 2020
+44 203 973 8810